Pre-caching objects from Astrato

Options
Yogi_HY_Analytics
Yogi_HY_Analytics Member, Partner Posts: 36 Type 1.5

Howdy y'all,

Is it possible to pre-cache objects from Astrato? I am guessing this primarily affects web embedding.

Not sure how the engine works for Astrato when calculating objects.

Best Answer

• JoeBickley
    JoeBickley Member, Moderator, Astrato PMs, Employee Posts: 2 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Yogi

Astrato doesn't cache results directly in the platform. It will reuse any cache that the underlying source provides. As I believe you are using Postgres rather that may be limited compared to SnowFlake which will cache results for each unique query automatically.

To warm the cache in the source means generating those unique queries which could be done by viewing content in a dashboard or executing the equivalent query in the source directly.

Joe

Answers

• Yogi_HY_Analytics
    Yogi_HY_Analytics Member, Partner Posts: 36 Type 1.5
    Options

Howdy Joe,

Thank you for your quick reply and helping me understand the platform to Astrato relationship.

For Astrato specifically: When Astrato creates a line object - it takes a course of actions through an engine (assumption on my part). As it creates the object it takes time (milliseconds). However compounded out, by creating more line objects, this time takes longer and longer - until eventually it takes a noticeable time to load. A page with 50 line objects can take about 2-5 seconds to load.

A better way to frame my question above; is it possible for me to pre-cache those objects in memory before a user changes a page in Astrato so that the load time is pre-cached and completed before the user even clicks on the sheet? (Since these are line objects, they draw no additional timing from external sources, this makes me have another assumption that Astrato does have an engine/coding mechanism to load items.)

Also as a follow up question: Is it possible to use this caching capability externally for a web embedded application? I would like to cache on the Astrato side before rendering on page for when users switch embedded objects.

Sorry for all the assumptions! Haha maybe I need an Astrato back-end engineering day to learn more about the gears and wires in the machine.

• JoeBickley
    JoeBickley Member, Moderator, Astrato PMs, Employee Posts: 2 mod
    Options

Ahh i see so you referring to a delay in loading non-data objects when you have a large amount of them. Objects like this don't touch our data engine but the definition of these needs to be retrieved and then pushed down to the browser to be displayed, and they happens for each new user. Would really like to see how this is displaying for you as i experimented with ~100 lines and it was pretty fast to show - will send you a direct message.