10 Minute Dashboard (The Great Astrato Dash-Off - 2nd Edition)

Options
StephFrench
StephFrench Administrator Posts: 10 admin

Yesterday @dataemily and I participated in the 2nd edition of the Great Astrato Dash-Off! We each built a dashboard in Astrato in 10 minutes!

The dataset we chose to visualize was United States influenza statistics we gathered from the CDC. I decided to visualize a 5-year view (including 2022) for weeks 38 through 47 of each year (from around mid-September to the end of November). This time frame is when the cases of flu-like illnesses start to ramp up.

First, I visualized the percentage of Influenza Like Illness (ILI) patients by week to show the percentage of all healthcare patients experiencing ILI compared to years past. The second chart shows ILI cases by age range and the number of cases during those same weeks each year.

The heatmap shows that while cases of ILI typically begin to increase in December and peak in January and February in years past, in 2022, the percentage of patients in November is much more significant in comparison.

I thought it would be interesting to show the impact on a smaller scale by creating a custom measure that calculated the number of ILI patients compared to all healthcare patients per 1000. As you can see, there are more than twice as many ILI patients per 1000 in 2022 than in previous years for weeks 38 through 47.

Lastly, I wanted to show the regions that could face longer wait times for healthcare services due to the patient-to-provider ratio. To do that, I created a custom measure with the total patients and provider information to show which region has the most patients per provider.

If I had more time, I would have looked for additional data, such as vaccination rates, to understand why this year is shaping into a worse flu season in recent years (or at least ramping up earlier)!